Positano Italy – Things to do in Positano – Positano beach. As I’ve already said in the post “Amalfi Coast Towns” Positano is one of the best village town in Amalfi Coast. Many people are enchanted by its beauty.
As you can see below Positano is devoloped on different levels and starting from the top going down to the pedestrian center you have to follow a road on the coast. On this road you can find many restaurants with a wide view of the coast and of the see. It’s unique!
In the pedestrian area you’ll see many shops where you can find many clothes in a perfect Positan’s style.
At the end of everything you find something very precious in this area: the beach! This makes Positano the town to choose for those that love beaches.
As a result maybe Positano is the best town to stay in especially in the summertime but not in the low season. Positano is the town most affected by the touristic seasons!
Things to do in Positano
In Positano there are many things to do and visit. Here you can find the main points of interest.
- Santa Maria dell’Assunta Curch
- MAR, the roman archeological museum
- The Saracean Tower
- The Positano beaches
- The Path of the Gods Positano or il Sentiero degli Dei: you can take the bus in Positano (https://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/orari – 5070 AMALFI – POSITANO – SORRENTO (via Meta – via Massa Lubrense – via Nastro Verde)) and in a few minutes you arrive to the following bus stop: Via Arienzo, 53, 84017 Arienzo SA
One of the best things to do in Positano is to relax on the Positano beach and enjoy the view. Positano beach is very nice and it’s also big compared to others beaches in the Amalfi Coast. When you walk from the highest part of Positano to the lower part through the city center you finally arrive to Positano beach.
You can see Postiano beach in many post cards and many beautiful pictures around the web. The truth is that Positano beach is really beautiful and unique for its scenario.
There is also another beach you can easily reach on foot: Fornillo Beach.
Things to do in Positano
The very first thing you should do in Positano Italy is to get lost in the town and find out all the characteristic corners and shops.
Then you can’t miss the amazing sunset! You’ll get in love with it.
Positano is very good point to take a boat and to go to visit that marvellous and unique island that Capri is. You can go for a daily tour or stay at least one night to have more time to enjoy this place.
The beautiful Grotta dello Smeraldo is not far from Positano Italy and you can choose it as a tour from Positano.
Another of the things to do in Positano is to take the boat and visit one of the other Amalfi Coast towns. From Positano Italy you can visit the following Towns by boat (https://www.travelmar.it/)
- Amalfi (about 30 min from Positano Italy)
- Minori (about 1.10 from Positano Italy) In Minori you can visit:
- The Ruins of Roman Villa and Antiquarium
- The Path of the Lemons
- in Minori you can taste Salvatore De Riso’s specialties. Salvatore De Riso is the most famous pastry chef in the Amalfi Coast.
- Maiori (about 1.20 from Positano Italy)
- Salerno (about 1.20 h from Positano Italy)
- Cetara (about 1.30 h or 2 h from Positano Italy) This town has a beach and the town is very characteristic. Cetara is known for the best tuna of the amalfi coast and for the anchovy sauce.
You can for example go to Amalfi by boat and then come back by bus stopping in the places you want to visit.
Visit Amalfi + Ravello. You can go from Amalfi to Ravello by bus. In Ravello there are 2 beautiful villas to visit:
- Villa Rufolo
- Villa Cimbrone
Other beaches to visit
If you are in Positano Italy for few days you can also visit other very nice beaches in the area:
- Marina di Praia (Praino) – about 30 minutes from Positano.
- Bagni Regina Giovanna – about 30 minutes by car
- Spiaggia del Duoglio: very clean water. You can arrive here by bus.
- From Amalfi you can take the boat to get to the the small beaches reachable only by boat
- Minori and Maiori
- Marina del Cantone
Things to do in Positano in 3 days
Day 1 in Positano Italy
Day 1 morning
After your arrival the best thing to do in Positano is to relax on the Positano Beach for a couple of hours. After that we can come back to our hotel for a shower and get ready for our wonderfull afternoon.
If instead you arrived in Positano a day before and you had time to see the Positano beach you can go directly to Amalfi. This is a better option because we are going to visit the Amalfi Villas and we’ll need time to do it well.
Day 1 afternoon
For this day I recommend to buy the ticket that include the bus transportation + 1 boat ticket.
In fact the following ticket is very useful. You can use it for all the day and you can alse take one time a Travelmar boat.
Where are we going to go this afternoon? In the famous Amalfi and Ravello.
In order to get from Positano to Amalfi faster we chose to take the boat. This is also a more enjoyable way to travel and a good opportunity to see the amalfitan coast from the sea.
We can for example take the boat of the 12:00 pm so you are in Amalfi at 12:30 pm.
After our arrival to Amalfi we ca see the city center. Amalfi isn’t very big so you don’t need a lot of time to visit it.
We can now take the bus and go to Ravello.
How can I get to Villa Rufolo from Amalfi? You can take the bus in Amalfi (Piazza Flavio Gioia, 1). The bus line is the number 5110 to get to Ravello.
You can check the bus times at the following page https://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/orari
We can for example take the bus at 2:30 pm.
In Ravello there are 2 beautiful villas to visit:
- Villa Rufolo
- Villa Cimbrone
After visiting Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone bo back to Amalfi in order to take the bus back to Positano. (You can find the bus times to the following page: bus time). Last bus Amalfi Positano at 7:00 pm.
We are now ready for our delicios dinner in Positano.
Day 1 evening
Dinner in Positano and explore the city.
Day 2 in Positano Italy
Day 2 morning
Today we want to see another Positano beach: the Fornillo beach.
At lunch time we go to spend the rest of the day da Adolfo in Laurito. Here there is the beach and the restaurant. The restaurant offers a boat service from Positano to the restaurant and from the restaurant to Positano Italy.
This is a good thing to do in Positano Italy because we can enjoy the beach, the food and relax.
The Path of the Gods Positano
The restaurant offers to all the customers a boat service in your way of return to Positano. Anyway you can choose to came back by bus.
In this way after lunch we can take the bus for Positano instead of the boat and stop where there are the stairs to get to the Path of the Gods Positano.
Day 3 in Positano Italy
Day 3 morning
At 9 am we go to take the bus for Amalfi in Positano (Sponda). We want to spend the day along the Amalfi Coast in the best areas between Positano and Amalfi.
- We take the bus at 9.20 am in Positano and we arrive in Praiano at 9:35 am. We can enjoy the beautiful Marina di Praia.
- At 11.35 am we take the bus and we go to the Emerald Grotto. We arrive at 11:45 am
Day 3 afternoon
At 12:45 pm we take the bus and we stop the Duoglio Beach or Spiaggia del Duoglio. We can have a light lunch here.
- In the way back to Positano you can stop and do the Path of the Gods Positano if you haven’t already visited. You can take the bus at about 3.30 pm.
- In other 27 minutes by bus we arrive in Minori and we can take the excellent opportunity to taste Salvatore De Riso’s specialties. Salvatore De Riso is the most famous pastry chef in the Amalfi Coast. In this option we came back by boat (https://booking.travelmar.it/it/booking/ Minori 5:30 pm – Amalfi 5:40 pm / Amalfi 6:00 pm – Positano 6:25 pm)
- In this itinerary you can spend more time in Marina di Praia. We can enjoy the beautiful area and have lunch in one of the restaurants on the beach. In this option after Marina di Praia:
- At 2.15 pm we take the bus and we go to the Emerald Grotto. We arrive at 2:25 pm
- At 3:25 pm we take the bus and we stop the Duoglio Beach or Spiaggia del Duoglio.
Day 3 evening
Dinner in one of the best restaurants in Positano
Things to do in Positano Italy in 4 or 5 days
If you have 5 or 6 days you can visit Capri. This is a very special island…
Positano Italy: Dangerous and Forbidden beaches in this area
Positano Italy is unique and there are many things to do in Positano. Also the nearby area is really worthy to be visited.
Anyway there are areas you should avoid. There are especially beaches you should avoid because there are not safe for the landslide hazard. There are many nice places to visit in Positano and many things to do in Amalfi Coast so we don’t need to go in this places.
We should pay attention in order to spend a beautiful but also safe vacation in the Amalfi Coast. A few of the very famous Amalfi Coast beaches are located in the forbidden area. This is true for beaches such as Furore beach and Cavallo Morto.
In the picture below you can see the red zone you should avoid.
- Furore: very famous beach but there is the landslide hazard and that’s why it’s dangerous.
- Maiori: Cavallo Morto o Bellavaia
- from Laurito to Hotel Tritone excluded
- from torre di Grado Praiano to scoglio dell’Ischi
- from Furore to Conca dei Marmi
You can see more details: black-list delle spiagge vietate in costiera amalfitana
Other post related to the subject “Positano Italy: unforgettable Things to do in Positano & Positano beach”