Positano Italy – Things to do in Positano – Positano beach. As already written in the post “Amalfi Coast Towns” Positano is one of the best towns on the Amalfi Coast. Its beauty enchants many people.
As you can see below, Positano is developed on different levels, and starting from the top going down to the pedestrian center you have to follow a road on the coast. On this road, you can find many restaurants with a wide view of the coast and the sea. It’s unique!
You’ll see many shops in the pedestrian area where you can find many clothes in a perfect Positano style.
At the end of your way, you find something very precious in this area: the beach! This makes Positano the town to choose for those that love beaches.
As a result, maybe Positano is the best town to stay in especially in the summertime but not in the low season. Positano is the town most affected by the tourist seasons!
For our own experience, we want to give you the following precious advice.
- In August and the more busy seasons prefer the boat to the bus when you have to move. When there are many people, the bus times aren’t trustworthy and if the bus is full it doesn’t stop and it leaves you at the bus stop :(. The boat times are instead always right.
- Do not pack too many things because Positano is full of stairs and it isn’t easy to arrive at your hotel with big and heavy bags. If you don’t want to renounce to some of your stuff use the porterage service. The porterage service brings your bags from the tourist port of Positano to your hotel. In this way, you’ll not have a heart attack 😉 if you’re not trained.
- Avoid the 2 central weeks of August if you can. Too hot and too crowded.
Things to do in Positano
In Positano, there are many things to do and visit. The first thing you should do in Positano Italy is to get lost in the town and find out all the characteristic corners and shops. You can’t also miss the amazing sunset! You’ll get in love with it.
Visit the following page to watch our Positano sunset videos: Best Amalfi Coast Sunset Positano Italy.
When you are in Positano, I’m sure you want to visit also the other Amalfitan Coast Towns. The good news is that Positano is well connected to the other Amalfi Coast towns such as Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri.
Here you can find a list of top things and places you can visit while you’re in Positano Italy.
- The Positano beaches
- Visit Positano’s Center and do a good shopping
- MAR, the roman archeological museum
- The Path of the Gods Positano or il Sentiero degli Dei: you can take the bus in Positano (https://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/orari – 5070 AMALFI – POSITANO – SORRENTO (via Meta – via Massa Lubrense – via Nastro Verde)) and in a few minutes you arrive to the following bus stop: Via Arienzo, 53, 84017 Arienzo SA
- Enjoy the food, even better if you have delicious food with an amazing view (Top 3 Best restaurants in Positano Italy with a view)
- Visit Amalfi, Ravello and the other Amalfi Coast Towns
- Visit Capri
- Enjoy the nearby beaches
- Visit the Emerald Grotto
- The Saracen Tower
Positano beach: Marina Grande and Fornillo Beach
One of the best things to do in Positano is to relax on the Positano beach and enjoy the view. Positano beach is very nice and it’s also big compared to other beaches on the Amalfi Coast. When you walk from Positano’s highest part to the lower part through the city center, you finally arrive at the Positano beach: Marina Grande.
You can see Positano beach in many postcards and many beautiful pictures around the web. The truth is that Positano beach is lovely and unique for its scenario.
There is also another beach you can easily reach on foot: Fornillo Beach.
Fornillo Beach is not far from the Grande beach of Positano. You can easily get to Fornillo beach on foot, thanks to the paved path that takes you directly from Spiaggia Grande to Fornillo beach.
This trail is also very nice to walk as it counts the sea and is scenic. The Fornillo beach remains more private and quiet than the Spiaggia Grande in Positano, especially during the high tourist season.
You can see better the path that leads you from Positano beach to Fornillo Beach (where there is the Hotel Pupetto) in the following video:
In the following video, you see a beautiful view of Fornillo beach from the boat and the path leading you to the beach. Watch the video!
Visit Positano’s Center and do a good shopping
Most likely, to get to Spiaggia Grande you passed through the streets of the center. The center of Positano is very characteristic especially thanks to the shops that display and sell clothes in perfect Positano style.
Positano by night has a very magical atmosphere.
The Path of the Gods Positano
One of the best things to do in Positano is the Path of the Gods Positano. You can easily arrive at the Path of the Gods Positano by bus. You have to get out of the bus when it arrives in Nocelle. The bus stop is right at the beginning of the path.
The Path of the Gods Positano is a very panoramic hiking path. If you start your hiking tour in Nocelle, don’t stop at the beginning of the path because, after 1 hour of walking, you can see Positano, and the view is much better than at the beginning of the path.
A good idea is to go in the morning and then have lunch at the restaurant la Tagliata: the bus pass in front of this restaurant. Go to the following page: “Top 3 Best restaurants in Positano Italy with a view“.
Enjoy the food
In Positano, there are a lot of excellent restaurants. There are also restaurants where you can taste excellent food enjoying amazing views. Read our post dedicated to the “best restaurants in Positano Italy with a view“.
Visit Amalfi, Ravello and the others Amalfi Coast Towns
Another of the things to do in Positano is to take the boat and visit one of the other Amalfi Coast towns. From Positano Italy, you can visit the following Towns by boat (https://www.travelmar.it/)
- Amalfi (about 30 min from Positano Italy)
- Minori (about 1.10 from Positano Italy) In Minori you can visit:
- The Ruins of Roman Villa and Antiquarium
- The Path of the Lemons
- in Minori, you can taste Salvatore De Riso’s specialties. Salvatore De Riso is the most famous pastry chef on the Amalfi Coast.
- Maiori (about 1.20 from Positano Italy)
- Salerno (about 1.20 h from Positano Italy)
- Cetara (about 1.30 h or 2 h from Positano Italy) This town has a beach and the town is very characteristic. Cetara is known for the best tuna on the Amalfi Coast and the anchovy sauce.
What you shouldn’t miss are these 3 following Amalfitan Coast Towns:
- Ravello. You can go from Amalfi to Ravello by bus. In Ravello there are 2 beautiful villas to visit:
- Villa Rufolo (where there are the concerts)
- Villa Cimbrone (where there is the Terrazza dell’Infinito)
If you want to know more go to the following page: Amalfitan Coast Towns.
Positano is a perfect point to take a boat and visit that marvelous and unique island Capri is. You can go for a daily tour or stay at least one night to have more time to enjoy this place. In Capri, you find the famous blue grotto and the amazing Faraglioni.
If you want to know more about Capri and watch the videos about this amazing island go to the following page: Top things to do in Capri.
MAR, the roman archeological museum
Right in the center of our Positano, the Roman Villa is a witness of past wonders and as they fly for a new image of Positano, which is affirmed, above all, as a city of art and culture.
Enjoy the near beaches: other beaches to visit
The Amalfi Coast is full of wonders. If you are in Positano there are other fascinating beaches that you can easily reach by bus:
- Arienzo beach. Next to Positano Italy. In Arienzo beach there is also a restaurant. You can reach the beach and restaurant by bus and boat thanks to the restaurant’s boat service. The only problem is that the restaurant only accepts reservations for both the beach service and the restaurant.
- Marina di Praia (Praiano) – about 30 minutes from Positano.
- Spiaggia del Duoglio: very clean water. You can arrive here by bus or you can go by boat from Amalfi.
- Bagni Regina Giovanna – about 30 minutes by car
- From Amalfi, you can take the boat to get to Santa Croce Beach. This is a small beach reachable only by boat.
- Minori and Maiori
- Marina del Cantone
In the following video Marina di Praia and Praiano beach. Watch the video and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel if you aren’t already subscribed! Subscribe here!
Things to do in Positano: Visit the Emerald Grotto
The beautiful Grotta Dello Smeraldo is not far from Positano Italy and you can choose it as a tour from Positano.
Things to do from Positano in 1 day
Now we see a few ideas of what you can do in 1 day if you are in Positano. This can be useful to make your plan for a vacation of more days. It’s enough to choose your favorite options!
- Positano Beach and MAR (on foot)
- Duoglio Beach and Amalfi (by bus and boat)
- Amalfi + Ravello
- Marina di Praia beach
1 – Positano Beach and MAR museum
Positano beach Spiaggia Grande is not only a beach but also a beautiful viewpoint of Positano. If you prefer a more private beach, you can choose to relax on Fornillo Beach.
In the meantime, you’re in the town you can visit the MAR, the roman archeological museum or do your shopping.
The MAR is very close to the beach and is a beautiful museum where you can visit an ancient Roman villa.
2 – Duoglio Beach and Amalfi
The Duoglio beach is famous for its clear water. You can get to Duoglio beach by bus. You can also have lunch here. (Don’t go to this beach too late because there is sun until about 4′ o clock).
In the afternoon, you can use the boat service that connects this beach to Amalfi. In this way, you don’t have to climb the 400 steps that connect the beach to the road. This is a good occasion to save energy and visit Amalfi.
From Amalfi, you can take another boat for Positano or come back by bus. The boat service connects the Spiaggia del Duoglio and the Santa Croce Beach with Amalfi. In this way, you don’t have to climb the 400 steps that connect the road to the beach!
Amalfi + Ravello
After your arrival, the best thing to do in Positano is to walk in the Positano city center to take the first pictures and discover this amazing town.
Where are we going after it? In the famous Amalfi and Ravello.
In order to get from Positano to Amalfi faster, we chose to take the boat. This is also a more enjoyable way to travel and a good opportunity to see the Amalfitan Coast from the sea.
You can buy your ticket at the ticket desk very close to where the boat arrives next to the Marina Grande beach. Usually, you don’t need to reserve your seat on the boats because they are big and carry many people.
This is a big advantage because in this way you can take the boat at the time you’re ready to go without planning before.
You can see the timetable also online for example on the Travelmar website.
After we arrive in Amalfi, we can see the city center. Amalfi isn’t huge, so you don’t need a lot of time to visit it.
We can now take the bus and go to Ravello.
How can I get to Villa Rufolo from Amalfi? In Amalfi, you can take the bus for Ravello (Piazza Flavio Gioia, 1 Amalfi). The bus line is the number 5110 to get to Ravello.
You can check the bus times at the following page https://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/orari
In Ravello there are 2 beautiful villas to visit:
- Villa Rufolo
- Villa Cimbrone
Villa Rufolo is in the main square and just 5 minutes from the bus stop. Villa Cimbrone is about 15 minutes from Villa Cimbrone. In your plan, pay attention to reserve enough time for the visit of both villas.
After visiting Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone, go back to Amalfi to take back the boat for Positano.
We are now ready for our delicious dinner in Positano. (Best restaurants in Positano Italy with a view)
Praiano Marina di Praia Beach
Marina di Praia is between Positano and Amalfi and it has a very characteristic beach and it’s worthy to be seen. How you can get to Marina di Praia?
As the first thing, we go to take the bus for Amalfi in Positano (Sponda). We take the bus from Positano to Praiano and we arrive in about 15 minutes. We can enjoy the beautiful Marina di Praia.
Watch the following video and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel if you aren’t already subscribed! Subscribe here!
Here you can find other posts related to the subject “Positano Italy: unforgettable Things to do in Positano & Positano beach”
- How long should I spend in Pompeii? How long does it take to visit Pompeii?
- Pompeii ruins bodies
- Can you visit Pompeii and Herculaneum in one day?